Thursday, October 9, 2008

Beth Wins...Again

You would think, after all this time, I would have something up on my youngest sister, but again, she wins....

The flight up here was quite interesting...We landed in Anchorage at 12:30 am and above the city, you could see the sun on the horizon. After a 5 hour layover, we were in the air again on the way to the island...once we got through the clouds, you could see the sun again. It was an interesting feeling to go to bed at 9:30 at night and it being a while until sundown. It really is gorgeous up here! When I got on island, it was rainy (so a regular day) but it was so green. The guy in front of me on the plane was taking it all in as much as I did. Come to find out that he was my counterpart for my job here....go figure. The mountains are amazing, especially on a coudy day, it looks like the disappear right into the sky. There is even a Shrek forest -(as my neighbor called it) tall trees covered in moss.



(I didn't take this, but it's exactly like the island!)














Yes, I have seen bears. Yes, they are huge!! Yes, they took off as soon as they saw the vehicle. Yes, I was freaked out. I have also seen salmon so thick in the streams that their fins stick out it was amazing! And yes, I have eaten fish...and liked it. First night here I had Halibut green chili enchilladas!! The best thing I have had was steak and ribs though. They were BBQed and amazing!

So I am heading into the first winter up here and it snowed two days ago. Just a dusting and it didn't stay - in fact it was sunny yesterday. Today it rained and was cold. It may snow this weekend....it is a wet snow and the main problem is ice. Fortunately studded tires are allowed here.

4 comments:

Beth morgan said...

Yeah! I love your page, it's so pretty! I can't wait to see pictures. I think this will be fun and mom always urged us to keep a journal!! Happy Friday!

Beth

Amy said...

Thanks! I tried on both my laptops to post pics, but neither of them worked...must be operator error ;0)

Beth morgan said...

I would attribute it to the loose nut behind the wheel! :)

Amy said...

Thanks, I can always count on you to boost me up....jk. Like the bear pic? It really does look like the road down to white sands beach here...