Thursday, October 23, 2008

Alaska Weather

So all week, I have been looking outside when I first get up to see what has happened through the night. Snow has been reported all over but not for the island. Well, this morning that all changed.... It was a warm 32 degrees around lunch time and the sunny areas have already melted. I have yet to get back up to Pillar, was going to go today but it is inservice day with several meetings this afternoon so tomorrow is another day.....sorry, Beth. (The pic above is at the school when it started snowing last week. That one only lasted about 5 min and nothing stuck.)

The temperature dropped dramatically about 6 pm tonight and I got my first experience with the ice here. There is no arguing, winter is definitely here! The storm is supposed to swing back through tomorrow and Saturday. I am glad the truck has 4 wheel drive. (This is looking out the door during a break of our inservice....)

As promised, I took a picture of the moon last week, it is so huge! (Just glad I did it before the temp dropped.) I don't know if it because we are so close but it seems like you could just reach out and touch it. Words can't describe it well, and the pic really doesn't do it justice, guess ya'all are goin' to have to just come up and see for yourself :0)
We start playing instruments next week, as the reeds come in....hopefully tomorrow. 100 kids on instruments for the first time, guess it's time to stock up on asprin... Actually, I don't know who is more excited about it. It will definitely be.................interesting.

No comments: