Sunday, November 9, 2008

Earth, Wind and Snow

The weather around here is more than amazing!

Yesterday I experienced my first earthquake. They are fairly common and usually very small. (The last time we had a Tsunami from an earthquake was in 1964. It destroyed one villiage's watertable, did a lot of property damage, lost one boat with crew and one person who decided to go down to the chanel.) The one yesterday was like a big shove with a really loud clap, like thunder but different. There was no damage that I have heard of. Those who I knew who were driving at the time actually didn't feel it.

The wind is really something else. Of course, as you get closer to the water it is more formidable. It is really interesting as I come from my elementary school, which is more imbedded to the middle school which is close to the channel. It can be a dramatic difference. I have not yet seen sideways rain like the people here talk of, but I have seen some sharp diagonal rain. (And I do mean sharp...between the wind and the cold, it can be quite biting.)

I actually am liking the snow. We had three days of snow. Yesterday it snowed in the afternoon and has been raining ever since. (Go figure.) The landscape was beautiful. They actually called the snow yesterday, hail. It wasn't tight like the hail in Arizona and not violent at all so I am not quite sure. (That kind of hail would never ruin a crop.)

So, I have pictures of the island and of the snow when it first started falling, but for some reason the photo editor button is not showing up for me to add them. I am not sure why. I will post them when I can.

No comments: